Apply to be a leader
Science, Internet & Technology

7 smart ways to use technology in classrooms

glenn.moore
glenn.mooreHost

Drop file here to send
Expired
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
glenn.moore
glenn.moore followed this discussion
Host
Do take note that having technology does not mean that it will be effective. Here are some guidelines how to take advantage of technology in classrooms:
1. Something boring on paper is still boring on a tablet or a laptop.
2. How tech teaches is as important as what is taught.
3. Let students sometimes be the teachers. 4. Find technology that lets kids learn from themselves and each other.
5. Rather than ban phones or YouTube, educators should find smart ways to use them.
6. Adults should serve as champions of digital citizenship.
7. Give kids some space to cultivate their own interests.
Edited
9 mths
Host
Do you think using technology will help facilitate learning? Does this do more harm than good if technology is used in classrooms?
Edited
9 mths
tom
tom followed this discussion
Host
Do you think using technology will help facilitate learning?
9 mths
farrah.black
farrah.black followed this discussion
Host
It's easier said that done. It will be hard to stop kids from using technology to play so it's important to train the educators properly how to redirect the kids positively.
Edited
9 mths
Host
It might take a little or a lot of adjustment because kids are used to using the tablet as a"play" thing so it will take restraint and discipline for them to use them for"study"
9 mths
Host
Out of the 7 tips, I am just unsure about tip # 3. I wouldn't want my kid exploring the app/tech tool and finding out something that is not safe for his age. So, I think it is important for the teacher to know about the app/tech and its safety before letting the student explore it.
9 mths
Host
I believe using technology in the classroom can really be beneficial. When I see my niece being able to code a game at a young age, I was very impressed. If she has a teacher who will guide her with technology, I'm sure she'll achieve something far better.
9 mths
Host
There are parents who cannot afford to give their kids the latest technology. This is an important aspect that each teacher should remember when incorporating technology in their classrooms. Teachers should incorporate technology in a manner that is holistic and inclusive for all.
9 mths
Host
Adding a single tool for a specific project or term, or making a more dramatic change such as a flipped classroom, being well-versed in technology can help build credibility with students, and even fellow colleagues.
Edited
9 mths
Host
We might as well take advantage of technology. It'll be good for kids to learn from them. It'll be a lot easier to teach them with new techniques.
9 mths
Host
Interaction is key in embracing technology in the classroom. If the teacher is just going to show a video clip in class or let the students explore by themselves and not have any interaction, there is no point in sending kids to school. If that will be the case, as I've seen some teachers do, then I'l just buy my kid a tablet and be done with, that's much cheaper than tuition fee.
9 mths
Host
I am apprehensive on allowing technology inside the classroom. They can cause a lot of distraction especially during lecture time.
Edited
9 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
It's easier to do research with technology. You can check for resources right away. It'll be great for additional readings so students can further understand the lessons.
Edited
9 mths
Host
it's easier to said that done,it's very hard to stop kids.
Edited
9 mths
Host
Technology allows for more active learning; you can increase engagement through online polling or asking quiz questions during lectures with instantaneous results. Subject matter is dynamic and timely with digital textbooks that embed links to relevant materials or student-maintained course wikis.
9 mths