Apply to be a leader
Parenting & Childcare

8 important parenting lessons from the Dutch

cassie.wayne
cassie.wayneHost

Drop file here to send
Expired
By host - cassie.wayne
The Netherlands ranks as having the happiest children in the world.
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
cassie.wayne
cassie.wayne followed this discussion
ajay.bhardwaj
ajay.bhardwaj followed this discussion
Host
I don't think kids are happier here than in other countries. Is this based on actual research? Sorry I did not read the book.
4 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
sergio-millernaomi-clintondavid-felkai
sergio-miller, naomi-clinton, david-felkai and 7 other people started following this discussion
Host
My great grand father is Dutch-Indonesian, now this explains why I used to get excited getting soaked up in the heavy rain on the way home from school, we(my classmates and I) go skying in the rain water pools on the open sports fields next to our primary schools.. Primary schools days were fun
4 mths
Host
Dutch for the win
4 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
Great article, as a Dutch mom I can relate to most of it. One thing I want to add is that a lot of roads here are especially designed so that it is safe to cycle on. Also distances are shorter, because this is a small country. However, when I was in high school I remember some kids who lived kinda remote and they had to ride their bikes for about an hour to get to school. Sometimes when it was very cold, they would arrive at school with ice in their hair and on their noses, they were absolutely fierce
4 mths
Host
All the more reason I want to move there!!!
4 mths
Host
Amsterdam Calling America is so overprotective that's why they aren't happy.
4 mths
Host
It's what Peetje Smithuis says, the points in the article are true but we also struggle with planning in me-time or date nights with our husbands. Although maybe it's a little easier because we do often work part-time.

And we also have prudish people here
Edited
4 mths
More than 50 people have joined this discussion.
Host
How do I move to Netherlands?
4 mths
Host
Could it be also the smell of weed in the air..?! Hahaha
4 mths
Host
I noticed in contrast to my own upbringing many modern Dutch parents want to be 'friends' with their kids, afraid of being 'not fun' as a parent. Not sure if that's a good thing.
4 mths
Host
Children are always happy, no matter which country..
4 mths
Host
I've also observed that most Dutch University students I've met have great relationships with their parents! perhaps it was also how they were brought up.
4 mths